Search Recent Home Sales
- Change from 19907%
- Population density6,958 per square mile
- Median household income$88,563.0
- Median age40 years
- Married with children38% of households
- Median age of dwellings51 years
- Owner-occupied86% of homes
- LIRR travel time to NYC47-53 minutes
- Crime risk35 (100 = national average)
Recent Home Sales
Search sales dating back to 1992
How to describe West Hempstead? For Rosalie Norton, president of the hamlet's civic association and a resident for almost 40 years, three words come to mind: stability, continuity and concern.
Service groups include the Kiwanis, Lions and Rotary clubs, senior-citizen organizations, youth programs and religious institutions. Recreational areas include 775-acre Hempstead Lake State Park.
Trammell Crow Residential Developers, in contract with the owners of the blighted Courtesy Hotel, are proposing 220 upscale rental apartments, which will require a zoning change. Other community projects include the construction of a new library and a beautification program along Hempstead Turnpike.
Neighborhoods feature capes, ranches, high-ranches, split-levels, Colonials and Tudors, priced from $379,000 to $815,000, says Frank Evangelista of RE/MAX West in West Hempstead.
-Lisa Doll Bruno (10/6/2006)
*Classroom teachers with a master's degree plus 30 hours or a doctorate.
**Graduates receiving Regents diplomas with advanced designation.
For more test scores and other school information, visit our
- My Home Photos Show off shots of your house, interior decor or backyard.
- Explore Long Island Show off shots of your house, interior decor or backyard.