Search Recent Home Sales
- Change from 199012%
- Population density4,136 per square mile
- Median household income$70,853.0
- Median age36 years
- Married with children41% of households
- Median age of dwellings35 years
- Owner-occupied75% of homes
- LIRR travel time to NYC96-117 minutes
- Crime risk33 (100 = national average)
Recent Home Sales
Search sales dating back to 1992
The North Shore hamlet of Sound Beach, which turns 75 next year, is noted for its bluffs and spectacular sunsets over its private beach.
Sound Beach is largely residential, with some houses of worship and a few small businesses at the intersection of Sound Beach Boulevard and New York Avenue, commonly called The Square.
Narrow, hilly roads meander through heavily wooded neighborhoods, where it seems that no two homes are alike. The lots are often small, with an array of home styles including cottages (some renovated), ranches, high-ranches, capes, Colonials and newer post- moderns.
"It isn't a tract development," says Bob Bedrossian, a longtime resident and owner of Bedrossian Real Estate. "About 95 percent of the homes are unique."
Sound Beach has an unusual history emerging from a New York City newspaper circulation war. In 1928, The Daily Mirror bought more than 1,000 acres in the area. A year later, the newspaper began selling 20-by-100- foot lots for $89.50 to buyers who took out a year's subscription.
The newspaper eventually folded, but the plan did attract adventurous souls from the city who would make the long trek to the country during the summer months. They cleared their land, pitched tents and eventually built bungalows.
About 95 percent of the population now live in Sound Beach year-round, Bedrossian said.
- Lisa Doll Bruno (11/7/2003)
*Classroom teachers with a master's degree plus 30 hours or a doctorate.
**Graduates receiving Regents diplomas with advanced designation.
For more test scores and other school information, visit our
- My Home Photos Show off shots of your house, interior decor or backyard.
- Explore Long Island Show off shots of your house, interior decor or backyard.